We exist in spite of the brutality and scrutiny our bodies face on this colonized land. Our bodies are policed, beaten, enslaved, imprisoned, objectified, uglified, vilified, sterilized, medicalized and shamed, yet we manage to survive. We store a lot of this trauma in our bodies, yet we still manage to speak, write, sing, juke, twerk, break, love, scream and fight. We refuse to be told our brown children’s butts are too big for ballet, our bodies too fat to go-go dance, our non-gender conforming bodies too fierce to allow us to live.
We are calling on people of color to submit stories of struggle with your bodies. Topics that may be included but certainly not limited to are: fatphobia, sex work, intersex, trans, gender, ableism, trauma, healing, chronic pain, illness, hair, eating disorders, resistance, colonialism, assimilation, sex, pleasure, etc. We believe sharing these stories with and amongst other people of color helps to dismantle the isolation and shame that white supremacy/colonialism/capitalism creates, and replaces them with support, strength, and communities of care.
Because this is our first public call-out for submissions in this zine project and this is an intense and possibly triggering topic, we hope to keep lines of communication open with all who submit, whether it’s by email or phone or even meeting up in person if you happen to live near us!
- Deadline for submissions is July 22nd, 2013;
- Submissions only accepted from those who identify as people of color;
- Submit via email at email@example.com with subject line: BODIES SUBMISSION;
- Only accepting writings (poems, stories, narratives, essays, rants, etc.), drawings, and illustrations for the zine, however, if you want to submit photography, we will gladly post it on the tumblr!
- Submissions should be in Word or Rich Text Format, not in Google Docs or in an email (if submitting text);
- No more than 2,000 words (approx. 2 zine pages if you don’t wanna count);
- Give us a 1-4 sentence bio on who you are, where you’re from and what you do or like.
Please forward widely! We look forward to reading your beautiful stories!